Monday, December 7, 2009

Don't let it snow, Don't let it snow, Don't let it snow!

Today I was 15 minutes late for work. I'm never late. I hate being late. I hate when my patient's are late. I even left early.

Let me just say...I wake up and perform my morning routine which runs like clockwork minute by minute. I'm finally ready and am in the kitchen throwing peach yogurt in a cup, slicing a banana to add, and throw in some granola and cranberries for the ride to work. I am debating on whether or not to make coffee because it might make me late, and, I can just run through Dunkin Donuts when I get to work because chances are I'll be a little early like always. My roommmate comes into the kitchen and says 'Oh no'. "What's the matter?" I say. "Look" she says. "CRAP" I say. As I look up and see white covering the building across the street. So much for even debating the coffee issue. Out the door it is....almost. I need to throw something in a bag for lunch since the drug reps only cater lunch on Tues and Thurs and it is already a Manic Monday (The last thing I want is the leftover lasagna from last week since I made an entire pan and have been eating it daily. Lasagna it is.) Then, I head out to the car. Time to clear the car of the ugly white stuff. CRAP AGAIN. Then the morning really began.

It took 15 minutes just to get through the light. Another 10 minutes to get on and off the short ramp onto the freeway. 10 minutes to begin moving on the freeway (when I say moving I mean 5-10 mph). And then I hear on the radio "1 hour and 45 minutes to O'Hare airport" from the city. I am coming from 'the city' and I didn't leave an extra 1 hour early just to get to work...I only left 20 minutes early. Shoot. At this point and grinding my teeth, thinking about whether or not I need to call in to have someone call my first patient. Luckily, 30 minutes later I am passing O'Hare and call the office to call my patient to let him know I will, officially, be late. Did I mention that I am NEVER late, I hate being late, and I hate when my patient's are late? By 8:45 I make it to my office and realize I can't find my patient. I look in the Doctor's office...not there. Someone saw a man in a red jacket who said he was my patient. I run back into the PT office to find a happy, smiling man sitting and waiting patiently. THANK YOU nice man for making my morning better and not hating me or leaving! I apologize and quickly evaluate him to realize his problem is rather uncomplicated and am able to relieve a good portion of his pain before he leaves. This is GOOD because now I hopefully I have redeemed myself for being late. And...before he leaves he says..."I'll be back on Wednesday...and if you're not here, I'll just wait for you!" Sometimes, it just takes one person to make or break your day...today my patient made mine and redirected my morning in the right direction :)

No comments:

Post a Comment