Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Commentary on The Title of My Blog

"Now, Chanel. You're in desperate need of Chanel. Darling, shall we? We have to get to the beauty department, and God knows how long that's going to take" --Devil Wears Prada

There seems to be some confusion about the title of my blog. So I will quickly explain my choice of wording. "The Devil Wears...Sweatpants" was adapted from a book and movie (2006) called "The Devil Wears Prada." When you are in medical school there is no time or money for Prada. For two and a half years (soon to be 3), I sat in the basement of a medical building with no windows---no need for Prada people. And, when you have a goal of paying off your tuition and loans in 10 years minimum--there is no money for Prada either.

So I wear sweatpants since I'm in the basement with no windows and no one looks at me funny becuase everyone else does the same thing. It is actually kind of amusing when I do decide to 'dress up' (usually just jeans, or occasionally nicer pants and a sweater). I get the stares and puzzled facial expressions with comments such as "What is going on today? Do we have to be dressed up? Why are you dressed up?" HAHAHA. Actually, I will admit, I have been guilty of having moments of panic and have given puzzled looks to other classmates--it's an aquired thing when you are a Type A PT student (which MANY of us are). So I've learned a lot in PT school--even that wearing jeans is considered 'dressed up' and wearing sweatpants is no longer 'dressing down' but the norm.

No comments:

Post a Comment